Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Keep Yer Ban-Hammer Off'n My Books, Ya Punks

Kirk of Priestly Endeavors issued a challenge to several bloggers concerning Banned Book Week (9/27 - 10/4). I wasn't personally called out but I see no reason for that to stop me.

Of the 100 books from the list of those most challenged between 1990 - 2000, I have indeed read, perused, or out-right studied the following - and I'm not ashamed to admit it.


7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
8. Forever by Judy Blume
10. Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
16. Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
23. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
32. Blubber by Judy Blume
41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
46. Deenie by Judy Blume
53. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
55. Cujo by Stephen King
62. Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
73. Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
77. Carrie by Stephen King
78. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
83. The Dead Zone by Stephen King
90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
97. View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts
98. The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

First of all - check out all the Stephen King on this list! That's my effort to distract you from all the Judy Blume. Hey - I was once a teenaged girl. Hard to believe, but it's true. So anyway - that's 25 of the 100 titles down... now I just have to pick one to read next week! And you know what? Because this is AMERICA I believe I'll just saunter into the local library and check it out. If, that is, I can get the neighborhood 10-year-olds to return it.

No comments: