Thursday, May 15, 2008

Typical Elitist

Priests are known for being a bit... egotistical. But we really can't help it, we HAVE to know everything about every class. If we're in shadowform, we have to know at what point the various tank classes can maintain aggro in the face of our uberleet dps. If we're healing, then we need to understand both the threat generation and mitagation skills of our tank. We also need to know about the threat-dumping abilities available to the dps classes in our party. (Ahem. Do not stand next to the hunter.)

Having said that - I got the BIGGEST kick out of a
post by Idialog <> Maiev-US on the official WoW Priest forum. I'm reading along, smiling and nodding, totally digging his droll delivery. I'm also taking mental notes here and there, since healing hasn't really been a specialty of mine. (Healing can be fun, but it doesn't hold a Kobold Candle to scavenging ideas ABOUT healing and then debating them with D.)

Then I get to the part about, 'I learned a couple of days ago that there was like this spell to buff everyone at once, and I was all like, "yeah, sweet", but then I found out it like costs money to cast, so I was all like, "oh, damn." I ain't payin' to give a damn mage more hitpoints. That's just crazy talk.' and I was all like, whoa, maybe this isn't as tongue-in-cheek as I thought, perhaps it's more like satire and all of these tips are designed to get me labeled "n00b healer" and /kicked from groups...

I'd rather take a blow to the face than to the ego. Priest, you know. /shrug

So, today we got a twofer: not only am I sharing a good laugh, I'm also doing a little research on 5-man healing. Let's see if there's a kernel or two of truth in there.

1. Only use GH rank 7 on druid / well-geared warrior tanks. I'd be willing to agree to this, but most of the prot-pallies I've run with had comparable HP. Let's say I agree with GH7 on tanks, and a down-ranked GH4 for other classes. With decent +healing that ought to keep everyone topped off and limit the amount of over-healing you do. PoM - while this is an awesome spell to toss out if your party is taking AoE damage, it's not really a "set it and forget it" ability. Having Prayer on your tank doesn't mean you can ignore your dps classes if / when they start taking damage.

Also, do pallies really regain mana when they receive heals? Yes, Spiritual Attunement is a passive skill available at level 18 (and upgraded to 10% at level 66). Pallies are unique to tanking classes in that they use mana instead of rage - I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't drop a renew on your Tankadin just before the pull. Also, the S'Priest in me drools when I think about how much love Mr. Loltank will have for my VT / VE...

  • VE feeds him health with each point of shadow damage I do.
  • VT feeds him mana with each point of shadow damage I do.
  • Feeding him health (heals) feeds him even more mana due to his SA.

2. I'm going to have to play my bull**** card on this one. I've played all of the non-hybrid dps classes, and I've never had a priest refuse to buff the entire party. Yeah, it consumes quite a bit of mana before you get Prayer of Fortitude, and it consumes a reagent after, but still - it doesn't happen.

3. Again, attitude aside, I agree. My squishy little presence isn't going to save the day once the tank and dps buy it, so no need to take one for the team and go toes-up myself. The one nugget of wisdom here is common sense - rez the classes who can ALSO rez first.

4. Total silliness. I haven't raided on my Priest yet, but I have taken two toons to Kara and I've watched D raid-heal on both a priest and a shaman. There is NO time for any dpsing as a healer. Besides, you'd be better off tossing a SW:P and then wanding.

5. Awesome. Just awesome. Rule #1 - it's never my fault. Rule #2 - if I appear to be at fault, refer to Rule #1.

/cast Lightwell

/s Heal yourself, *****.





3 comments:

cavalla said...

ok, so i havent really healed anything since pre-tbc (where i raided full time), but since when did everyone forget about flash heal? is it really as obsolete as people say now? FH used to be my bread and butter, now im advised to not use it? whats your opinion on the different healing styles?

TJSunday said...

Those who like to play it tight wait til the tank's health is low - and then drop a BIG heal. These are the people who use skill, timing, and since they can stay outside the 5-second rule, lots of spirit.

With the proliferation of mp5 gear so abundant now, healing is less about timing and more about keeping the flow going. Flash is one of the more inefficient spells; I'll dedicate my next post to DPS, HPS, and Efficiency .

Anonymous said...

You should heal more often n00b, the tank keeps dying": This complaint usually has two causes, either the tank doesn't have enough gear to take the hits during the Smite-based part of the healing rotation (common) or some DPS class is jealous of your awesome DPS.

This part made me crack up which a little embarassing because I'm at work! If I'm feeling very brave, I will occasionally cast a SW:P on a mob before I glue my eyes back on the party's health bars.